Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hesiod

Hesiod’s version of my story is told both in his Theogony and Works and Days, and is the first time I appear in the Greek mythos. Hesiod was a farmer from Boeotia in approximately the eighth century BC. The Theogony is a poem which tells of the origins of the Greek Gods and Hesiod claims he had been visited by the Muses who told him to write this history of the Gods. Works and Days was written as a poem that educated the reader about farming. However it was not entirely instructional nature, and similar to the Theogony provides one the earliest sources for Greek mythology.

In Hesiod’s canon, I am portrayed as a lowly trickster who causes misfortune to the human race. Due to my trick at Mecone where I deceive Zeus into choosing the less desirable sacrificial offering (bones disguised by a layer of fat), Zeus decides to take fire away from mankind. That is until; I steal the fire off Zeus and return it to the humans. My punishment for this crime is to be bound to a rock in Caucasus and have an eagle eat my liver for eternity.

Zeus also had the Gods create Pandora and gave her a jar full of burdens for mankind. I warned my brother, Epimetheus (whose name ironically means hindsight) not to accept this “gift”. However, Epimetheus failed to listen to me and Pandora opened the box, unleashing “grim cares upon mankind”. However, by Zeus’ intervention, hope does not escape the box.

As a result of these events, I am shown to be the cause of all misfortune to mankind. It is also revealed that if I had not stolen the fire, humankind would not have to work so hard for survival.

Hesiod’s Prometheus’ twitter page which recounts these events in a more entertaining manner can be viewed here: http://twitter.com/PromethHesiod

No comments:

Post a Comment